Sunday, January 15, 2012

Mary Amelia Chellappa.

January 14th, 2012

My achie (Tamil for 'grandmother') is one of the most Godly women I know.  I loved her very much even though at that younger age, I may not have always shown it; but I attribute much of my spiritual values to her teachings.  She taught me how to pray, to kneel and humble myself before God in prayer.  She taught... she drilled, it within my sisters and I to pursue God and His word daily; every morning before we went to school, she would line us up, place her hand on our heads, say a prayer in Tamil and cross our foreheads 3x with her thumb, "Father, Son, Holy Spirit" to instill blessings and protection over us.  After school, she would have us come to her room, sit on her bed as she read "Keys for Kids," our daily devotional, then tell us to kneel by the bed and pray... then homework.  My grandmother was always praying, and talking with God, praying, reading and learning His word.

Yesterday, (1/14/12) my dad and I were discussing some topics, that our family has been asking & trying to trust in God to deliver on.  My dad had just gotten done with his small group and I was helping to straighten up and we were collecting some bibles that people had left behind, oops.  My dad curiously looked at one resting on a corner table, that had looked familiar to me.
"I think that's mom's?" I said.
He opened the cover and inside the front page was an inscription written in my achie's hand...

She had written this on the day she came to America, and gave it as a gift to my mom...  Joshua 1:8...


"Study this Book of Instruction continually.  Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it.  Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do."
v.9 "This is my command - be strong and courageous!  Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."
Joshua 1:8-9

My grandmother; always teaching...

"Thank You Heavenly Father, for sending Your Holy Spirit and renewing my soul to continually trust in You as I battle my fears, and look to You for guidance & wisdom for my future.  Thank You for Your Word, and for using my Achie as the messenger, even though she is with You, she continues to watch over me.  I pray that my life might reflect Your Holy Spirit living within me.  Let me be a man who loves, and impacts my world around me, while I'm in it... and even when I am not."

- Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Yeahhhhh.....I'm really glad you shared about this. It is always awesome how God's word shared through others we love or know lingers in our mind and hearts and speaks so loud again when we come across "that note" or "that letter."

    ReplyDelete